I've just finished a project for a book that will be published before long; based on when the deadline is, my best guess is that the book will appear in the first half of next year. I'm just a contributor.
The project I've been asked to work up is a lace afghan knitted in one of Dorothy Reade's original lace patterns, using bulky yarn (Brown Sheep Burly Spun). The finished afghan is what I call "just the right size," having based it on an afghan I've been using for years.
Without giving away too much, here's what the afghan looks like as of a few minutes ago, laid out on a bunch of towels on my daughter's bedroom floor (I washed the nearly 4 pounds (1.7kg) of afghan in a plastic basin in the bathtub, then spun out the extra water in the spin-only cycle of the top-loading washer):
I used lace-blocking wires along the edges, but didn't pin them to stretch it. I just wanted to do a general squaring-up. At this gauge, everything's going to be somewhat floppy in the end anyway.
Here's what I worked from—a chart made in the first version of Knit Visualizer, held in a page protector. I moved the sticky notes just above the pattern row to be worked next (repositioned at the completion of each pattern row). The repeats are highlighted. I also put stitch markers between repeats on the needle, even though I had to remove and replace them when a decrease crossed the boundary lines. They were worth the effort.
I enjoyed the lace pattern. It's a moderately large repeat with some
interesting and unusual aspects to the way it's put together. I had to
adjust my original concept for the afghan in order to accommodate this
specific lace. Once I got the plan put together, it was entertaining to
And, of course, once I'd washed it and spread it out I had to put up the gate so the dogs won't walk across the afghan while it's drying.
I was supposed to be getting something else done this afternoon. But I was so close. . . . I finished with 3.5 ounces (100g) of fiber left over. At this gauge, that's not much, and the remainder consists primarily of the bits I pulled off in order to position all the joins in the plain border area at the edges of the fabric.
The only problem with working on a design for publication (other than deadlines, although I've made this one without stress) is that now this piece goes away for a long time, to be photographed, tech edited, and the like. I don't get to enjoy it in use until some time next year.