If it's after 6 a.m. Mountain Time, I'm at the vote center. I've taken all my meals for the day with me—no fridge, no microwave, and election judges can't leave the site until the polls have closed and the center's votes have been tallied and submitted. No cell phones (or unofficial computers, of course) allowed in the vote center.
Tomorrow it's back to real life again: independent publishing, knitting, spinning, sheep, figuring out how to make the next mortgage payment (so far, the bail-out hasn't trickled this way). . . .
In 2008, the United States is holding its 56th presidential election. The first, in 1792, was uncontested (George Washington).
I grew up when Truman, Eisenhower (x2), Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon were the presidents. This will be the tenth presidential election I've voted in, and I've voted in three states (although I've been a resident of more than that), with voting systems that range from lever to electronic to paper ballots, both fill-in and punch-out.
- 1972 Nixon/Agnew (2nd term) – McGovern/Shriver
- 1976 Carter/Mondale – Ford/Dole
- 1980 Reagan/Bush, G.H.W. – Carter/Mondale (2nd run) – Anderson/Lucey
- 1984 Reagan/Bush, G.H.W. (2nd term) – Mondale/Ferraro
- 1988 Bush, G.H.W./Quayle – Dukakis/Bentsen
- 1992 Clinton/Gore – Bush/Quayle (2nd run) – Perot/Stockdale
- 1996 Clinton/Gore (2nd term) – Dole/Kemp – Perot/Choate
- 2000 Bush, G.W./Cheney – Gore/Lieberman – Nader/LaDuke
- 2004 Bush, G.W./Cheney (2nd term) – Kerry/Edwards
- 2008 Information in progress at time of posting
Addendum while up at what a friend calls o-dark-thirty, although it's not quite o-dark-fifteen, actually: Got a confirming call last night from the supervisor of the vote center where I'll be working. We will have access to a fridge and a stove! Amazing!
Thank you for your hard work for voters, Deb! I hope you’re able to sleep late the day after the election?