1. Arctic Lace: Knitting Projects and Stories Inspired by Alaska’s Native Knitters by Donna Druchunas is not only on press again (fifth printing) but has just been named a finalist for the Colorado Book Awards. Entries for these awards are limited to books that have a connection to Colorado: author, subject, publisher. The other finalists in the General Nonfiction group have been published by much bigger presses—Westcliffe (independent, also in Colorado), Harvard University Press, and Andrews McMeel Publishing. Interesting mix of topics! (Nomad Press’s Knitting in the Old Way, by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts, was a finalist in 2005.)
2. Ethnic Knitting Discovery by Donna Druchunas (she keeps busy): advance reading copies will be here about August 25, and the real print run goes to press early next week, due off-press in mid-September for an October 1 release date. This morning the cover designer sent me her first idea for the spine and back cover: nice! The author photo is a kick. Except for minor tweaking, the first version is the final.
3. Through interlibrary loan, I’ve got temporary access to a book I briefly caught sight of on my friend Deborah Pulliam’s bookshelves when I was visiting her in Maine a few months ago. It’s apparently only available from the U.K. (and, fortunately, through interlibrary loan).
The book has me thinking yet again about Saint Kilda, an island in the Atlantic Ocean that Deb P. and I had talked about visiting some day (there’s a rare-breed sheep connection). Even if I never get
there, it’s fun to learn about the place and the logistics. Sometimes
the weather’s bad and you can get close but not ashore. . . . It would be an interesting mental shift to make a success out of a trip you’d spent years planning where that happened. That’s when it’s time to remember the journey matters more than the arrival.
4. On the left are the Print-A-Grid sheets on which I’ve been doing yet another testing runthrough on one of the worksheets for Ethnic Knitting Discovery.
The book will probably not be perfect (I don’t know of a book that is), but that won’t be because we didn’t check and re-check (and re-check and re-check) everything.
5. Courtesy of a browsing trip to a yarn shop and several mail deliveries, I have a handful of new knitting books to enjoy. A number have been released by publishers as independent as I am, and they are inspiringly well done. As I catch up with the deadline-driven book-publishing aspects of my life, I’ll see if I can get more detailed comments on these books posted. "Enjoy" in this case means not only reading but pulling out needles to try things. Sometimes when the rest of my life gets to be just too much, like yesterday, it’s nice to just mess with learning to do something with yarn that I haven’t done before.
6. The printer I thought would be printing Ethnic Knitting Discovery turned out not to have the right kind of paper. We need paper that meets the criteria set by the Green Press Initiative. Nomad Press is a member of the initiative and a signatory of the Book Industry Treatise on Responsible Paper Use. (There’s a Word file of signatories on the Green Press Initiative site.)
Making sure that a book is printed on the right kind of paper requires a bit of extra attention. Although the printer we planned to use has paper with recycled content, when we asked specific questions we learned that it’s only 15% recycled and it wasn’t clear what the other 85% was.
The Green Press Initiative standards are high. For uncoated paper (not shiny), there has to be a minimum of 30% recycled content and that has to be post-consumer waste (PCW). In addition, the remaining components need to be of specific types.
So the book’s being printed somewhere else. Ah, last-minute shifts.
The second printer’s a smidge more expensive . . . putting a second color on the interior is a lot more expensive than printing it in one color . . . the extra sixteen pages needed to accommodate the material we wanted to include is somewhat more expensive . . . and the cover price was set before all these things happened.
Never a dull moment for the independent publisher’s calculator and supply of optimism.
Green Press Initiative
<p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>The Impacts of Paper and Solutions for Publishers [2 pages]</p></p></p></p></p></p></p></p>
Participants in the Green Press Initiative make their best efforts to:
- Eliminate the use of papers that contain fibers from Endangered Forests
- Maximize the use of paper produced with recycled fiber and paper that is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
- Maximize production efficiency and reduce waste